Post natal nutrition
Welcome to motherhood… Baby has arrived and you’re feeling exhausted, sore and potentially completely overwhelmed. Eating is pretty low down on your list of priorities now but try and focus on getting some good nutrients into you, this will help with healing and energy levels during those first 6 weeks and beyond.
There are lots of herbs and spices you can use alongside food to help promote healing, some common ones include –
- Foods rich in vitamin C – cauliflower, peppers, leafy greens, citrus fruits
- Turmeric to help reduce inflammation
- Chicken bone broth (can make in advance before baby is born and freeze)
- Protein aids repair and should be eaten at every meal
- A reduction in sugar also aids in tissue repair and regeneration
Other foods that you should prioritise eating include –
- Grass fed butter
- Coconut oil
- Fatty fish (the DHA will help improve mood postpartum)
Whether you choose to breastfeed or bottle feed is a personal decision and its important to do what you feel is best for both you and baby. However, if you do choose to breastfeed then you’ll need on average around 500-700 additional calories per day, way more than when you were pregnant. You can give your milk production a boost by consuming the following paleo friendly foods –
- 2-3L of filtered water per day
- Spices – fenugreek, fennel, dill, caraway, basil, garlic, ginger
- Fennel (eaten cooked or raw)
- Carrots, beetroot and sweet potato
- Macadamia nuts
- Dates (fresh)
- Spirulina and spinach
The biggest challenge of nutrition postpartum is finding the time to cook and eat, if possible try and batch cook some nutrient dense meals before baby is born so you have a stockpile, make use of kind offers from family and friends and have them bring you meals, delivery companies such as Abel and Cole and Field and Flower will bring grass fed organic meat, fish, dairy, such as yoghurts, cheese and milk and an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables straight to your door. Also look at Hello Fresh, a fairly new company who deliver a box of ingredients to your door that comes complete with everything you need to make hearty nutritious meals.
Make sure you enjoy this time with your precious new bundle, you only get one babymoon!!